RAL PPD Computing Installation
(Gareth Smith - last updated 2-Apr-2001)
Desktops (and Laptops)
- 80 PCs (Windows NT V4.0) Still the default desktop device.
- PPD laptop loanpool of 5 Toshiba Portege 7010CT and
5 Dell latitude CPx laptops (running Windows 2000)
- LINUX: Viglen LX2 dual PII/450 (running RH6.2) + Viglen LX2 dual
PII/450 (running RH6.1)
- HP-UX: D370 (running HP-UX 10.20) as a file server (no users)
- DAN dual P3/866 150GB raid server bought - to be installed.
- UNIX web server: 1 LINUX PC + Apache
- NT: Alpha 1000A (file server, BDC) + DEC Prioris P5/90 (PDC, print
- DAN P3/866 150GB raid server bought - to be installed.
- Microsoft Terminal Server (TSE) (with Citrix
Metaframe) for applications not on desktops.
- NT web servers: 2 Intel servers (uni-PIII/450) + IIS (one Extranet,
one Intranet) One of these runs Windows 2000.
- VMS: 2 Alpha 1000(A) + 7 AlphaStations (running OpenVMS V7.1)
- DEChub 900 and PPD FDDI (all in machine room) to RAL FDDI backbone
- PPD 10/100/1000 Ethernet: 3COM 9300 Gigaswitch + 10 3COM 3300
- All PPD offices connected to fully switched 10MBit Ethernet (Gigabit
- Using DHCP for laptop support
- 90% of PPD using CLRC-managed Exchange
- PPD has its own Exchange Server, purchased by us and run by ITD. Note
- central support for scanning of e-mails for virus).
- Supported MUA's are Outlook and Pine
- Systems in RAL labs and test beams (many of these are LINUX)
- LINUX on the desktop still limited. There are
some 3 users with two PCs each (One NT, one LINUX).
- Laptops not purchased by Computing Group (we offer initial
installation of NT)
- CLRC Firewall implemented with protocol filtering and Security Policy
published (by CLRC).
- Printing has been rationalised: all OS's print through a single
server, run by ITD
- Colour printing on 1 HP Colour Laser, 1 HP ink jet (HP 2500) plus new
Tektronix Phaser 850 solid ink.
- A public PC and ~6 physicist desktops are now equipped for Video
- Standardised on 19" monitors on PCs.
Link to PPD plans Link to PPD Concerns