RAL PPD Concerns
(Gareth Smith - last updated 20-Mar-2000)
- We have achieved standardisation on the desktop, and as a result the
desktop support load has reduced. BUT we new find ourselves supporting Laptops, access
from home PCs, Videoconferencing, setting up meetings/conferences (e.g. Masterclass),
sorting out laptop/projector/network access for meetings.....
- How will we find effort to work on Grid? We do have an additional
person in the mornings, need to rework how we organise ourselves.
- Security. An ongoing concern, e.g. wish to implement remote logging
- Can we keep LINUX off the desktop? How long can we hold to a standard
- Windows 2000 - will be a lot of work. CLRC is looking at NT for
workstations, but not planning to move to Active Directory for some years. Will this fit
with HEP needs? Will Grid (and need to follow LDAP, security....) issues force us to
Active Directory sooner?
- No. of servers is increasing fast (MS Terminal servers, Web servers
...) can we cope? Need to put proper furniture in computer room just to take it.
- Can we run a viable colour printing service? (Colour laser doesn't
work well on transparencies and ink-jets are difficult to run for departmental use)
Printing does cause problems -and takes up our time.