RAL PPD Plans
(Gareth Smith - last updated 20-Mar-2000)
- Equip public terminal area with more PCs
- Better equip computer room
Desktop and Laptop plans
- Remove remaining MAC and VMS workstations from desktop (replace by NT
- Install AFS clients on all NT desktops that need it
- Equip more desktop PC's with Video Conferencing (as needed)
- Try to avoid LINUX on the desktop!
- Upgrades to cloned software (Netscape, Adobe Acrobat).
- No further development of HP-UX
- Test and then move Unix file serving to LINUX
- Bring MS Terminal Server fully into use (to serve apps not on
- Purchase MS Terminal Server, to be run by RAL IT Department, to
supply Office 2000 (for tests)
- Participate in HEPNT and CLRC Windows 2000 tests and planning
- Work on PPD web-based document repository (using Xerox Docushare)
- Keep VMS running for those who still need it, but with no development
- Move all remaining PPD users to Exchange.
- Turn off all other mailers (keep access to archived mail)
Link to PPD Concerns