Cambridge HEP Group - site report
- 2 DIGITAL UNIX (ALPHA) fileservers
- 450GB disk space, DLT2000 stacker, UPS-protected.
- 9 DEC ALPHA workstations
- 3 DIGITAL UNIX, 6 VMS.
- 35 PCs
- 14 Linux, 14 Windows NT
- 6 Windows 95, 1 Windows 3.1
- SUN workstation (Solaris - for CAD)
- 4 MACs, 5 X-terminals
- Total 600GB+ disk space
- 2 HP Laserjet (20ppm+)
- Tektronix Phaser 550 (colour laser)
Majority of systems on switched ethernet (34 @ 10Mbps, 4 @ 100Mbps).
Rest (~30) currently on shared ethernet. Departmental connection to
campus now 100Mbps, but only 10Mbps from HEP group to department.
- DIGITAL UNIX(4.0D)
- AFS, CERN software (including SHIFT software for NA48), SAMBA (for WNT)
- Windows NT (4.0SP4)
- 2 nodes as main and backup servers. Most software served from shared
disk space on D.U. box using SAMBA.
Exceed, CERN software, Coraldraw, MS Office 97, MS Visual Studio (C++,
FORTRAN) etc. etc.
- Linux (Redhat 5.1)
- CERN libraries, MAPLE, AFS, etc. etc. Authorization, home directory common
- SUN/PCs for CAD
- variety of CAD packages (CADENCE, Powerview, etc., etc.)
- Network charges
-Currently University charging at departmental level, based on current usage
(with overall bill of course based on last year's usage). Current level
(~£4000 per annum) is not excessive, but no real incentive (especially
for short term visitors) to moderate use.
- Multiple platforms
- heterogeneous backups, general management, etc. etc.
- quality of local supply is poor - power cuts are very disruptive.
UPS use has reduced the disruption, but not economic to protect every piece of
- Disk space serving/management
- what is the best way to do this?
- have we done enough to prepare?
- group or (possibly) departmental facility?
- major departmental upgrade likely in next year which will offer 100Mbps
switched ethernet to all desktops and gigabit ethernet capability.
- replace on cycle ~4-5 years.
- certainly replace one of existing servers during lifetime of next Grant
Application - though whether replacement will be a real server or not is
not clear at the moment (it may be clearer when we've written the Grant
Application). We may also need significant extra disk space.