UK HEP System Managers Meeting Number 3, 19th November 1999. UCL.
(last modified 26-January-2000)
Chair - Bob Cranfield(UCL). Secretary - Chris Brew(RAL).
D Kelsey(RAL),B. Saunders(RAL), J Gordon(RAL), A Sansum(RAL), D.Salmon(RAL), A
Flavell(Glasgow), J Hill(Cambridge), A. McNab(Manchester),D. Sankey(RAL), D
Martin(Glasgow), R Henderson(Lancaster), P Gronbech(Oxford), L. Thompson(Sheffield), A.
Forti(Manchester), P. Kershaw(RHBNC).
RC gave a short presentation then lead a discussion on the purpose of the SYSMAN
meetings. Questions raised included:
- Should we concentrate on the exchange of information, both amongst ourselves and to/from
CNAP (the Computing and Network Advisory Panel) which has two members from the SYSMAN
group (RC and LT)?
- Should we try to organise training for system managers at meetings, either from members
of the Group or by inviting in outside speakers? Should part of the two day meetings be
given over to this?
A discussion was also held on possible topics for discussion at future meetings. Among
those suggested were:
- Manpower and effort.
- Disk Management and Backup.
- Unix and NT integration.
- Institutional Backbones/Virtual Networks
- Common Approaches on Hardware/Software.
Site reports were received from:
- Institutions should think about and provide suggestions for possible courses.
Two day meeting at RAL, 21st and 2nd March 2000.